What is EM?
Effective microorganisms (EM) are a mixture of different bacterias that together form a culture.
The important bacteria are:
- lactic acid bacteria, e.g. Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus casei
- the photosynthetic bacterium such as Rhodopseudomonas palustris
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae, also known as yeast
Use of effective microorganisms
The application area for EM ranges from cleaning in houses, garden optimization, soil and slurry processing in agriculture and waste water sludge reduction.
How does EM work?
Through their antioxidant, fermenting, regenerative, energetic, communicative and dominant effect, the microorganisms create a positive environment in their area. The microbes compete with pathogenic bacteria and displace them with their dominance. In addition, by producing antioxidants in their metabolism, microorganisms have a regenerative effect on oxidative processes such as rot and aging, thereby stopping them. For these reasons, EM is a good environmentally friendly alternative to pesticides, antibiotics and disinfectants.
How is EM made?
All EM products can be traces back to the original EM solution. The original solution is a mixed culture of various useful microorganisms occurring freely in nature. It is a brownish liquid with an sour/ sweet odor and a pH of 3,3-3,6. The microorganisms are in a kind of dormancy and are activated by sugar cane molasses an water.
Which products are available with effective microorganisms?
- Plant strengthening and soil improvement with various products based on EM – for sustainable healthy plants and fertile soils (e.g. Terra Preta principle).
- Solutions for organic and regenerative agriculture without chemicals.
- Probiotic home and buisness cleaning as an ecological alternative to chemical cleaners.
- Healty and vital body care using probiotic fermentation drinks to strengthen the body’s microbiome.